Thursday 28 February 2008

Could LINks use Twitter?

I am down in Dorset working in Bournemouth and Poole this week running a series of workshops and planning sessions for LINks (Local Involvement Networks). Today I was based at AFC Bournemouth, the local football club.

LINks is about networks and mobilizing local voices. Twitter, the micro-blogging service, provides many possibilities for putting together real time virtual networks. Twitter uses SMS messaging on mobile phones to coordinate information sharing and action. 

Could LINks use Twitter - I think they could. It may be that members will need training and support to do this but I think the possibilities are very exciting.

1 comment:

Caspar said...

Hi Paul,
I like the idea that members can subscribe to be notified by SMS of things like upcoming issues and what the current hot topics are, perhaps very brief synopsis of what hot topics being discussed on a LINks website forum are (first assuming LINks have an online interactive presence, which I sincerely hope they would, and secondly assuming people would have access but if they're happy to be contacted by SMS one would assume they have access to the internet in some manner).
The organisation I work for is bidding to become a Host in areas where we are currently FSO and it is certainly one area I'm keen to push in our bids, that there are many ways to communicate to and hear from members of the public (and the best thing about Twitter is it's free for both the user broadcasting a message and the receiver subscribing to them by sms!).